Ricotta gnocchi is a great low carbohydrate, high protein alternative to regular potato gnocchi. It is so much fun to prepare — great activity for kids young and old!
- S500g tub Ricotta
- 1 Large egg
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese and extra
- 1 cup of tipo 00 pasta flour and extra to roll
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Small jar of pesto or napoltena sauce
- Fresh basil to garnish
- Combine flour and the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl with your hands. It should form into a sticky dough (if wet, add a small amount of extra flour)
- On a clean surface, sprinkle extra flour and roll a handful of the dough into a long rope shape about 1.5cm thick.
- Slice the dough into little squares and place the gnocchi on a tray lined with a tea towel or baking paper.
- Allow the gnocchi to rest for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Cook in boiling water. The gnocchi is cooked once they have risen to the surface.
- Drain the water and stir your sauce into the pot with the gnocchi.
- Serve into bowls, sprinkle parmesan cheese and garnish with fresh basil.